Snoring, often considered a benign issue, can be a severe disruption not only for the person sleeping next to you but also as an indicator of underlying health concerns. The good news is that with the advent of technology and medical advancements, there are multiple ways to address this nocturnal concern. This article walks you through a structured process to help you find a solution to your snoring problem.
1. Understand The Problem:
The first step towards fixing your snoring problem is understanding how bad it really is. The best way to do this is to record yourself while sleeping. This provides concrete evidence of how bad your snoring really is so you know what you’re working with, and can be prepared to deal with it head on. To do this, just:
- Download A Snoring App: There are some amazing apps like Snore Sense that are designed to help you track and record your snoring.
- Set it Up: Place your phone near your bed before sleeping and hit “record.” Snore Sense activates recording only when they detect snoring, ensuring you don’t run out of storage.
- Review the Recording: In the morning, listen to how loud and frequent your snoring is. This will not only help you gauge the severity but also determine the times you snore most.
2. Find A Solution That Actually Works:
Once you’ve recognized the problem, the next step is to find a solution. There are numerous over-the-counter and online solutions available here.
- Research: Look for highly recommended anti-snoring devices or aids. These might include nasal strips, adjustable pillows, or mouth guards.
- Test the Solution: Once you’ve chosen a device, use Snore Sense to record yourself sleeping while using it. Compare this recording to your initial one to verify the solution is actually working. If your snoring goes away, viola, you found a solution! If not, move on to another solution, and try step 3.
3. Change Behaviors That Lead To Snoring:
Lifestyle choices and habits can greatly influence snoring patterns.
- Track Your Behaviors: Utilize the Snore Sense snoring app to log daily activities and habits that might correlate with your snoring. This can include alcohol consumption, certain foods, or sleep positions. They keep track of this data over time so you can go back and start to see patterns emerge of bad behaviors that lead to snoring, so you can change them to stop snoring.
- Adjust Your Lifestyle: The data from Snore Sense can provide insights. For instance, if you find that you snore more after consuming alcohol, reducing or eliminating alcohol, especially close to bedtime, can be beneficial. Similarly, sleeping on your side rather than your back might help reduce snoring.
4. See A Doctor If Nothing Changes:
If, after trying various solutions and altering behaviors, you still find no change in your snoring pattern, it’s time to consult a medical professional.
- Gather Your Recordings: Take both your initial and subsequent recordings to the doctor. These recordings can provide valuable insights into the nature of your snoring.
- Seek Expert Advice: A doctor or a sleep specialist can assess if you have a condition like sleep apnea, which requires more specialized treatment. They might recommend a sleep study or other medical interventions to address the root cause of your snoring.
Snoring doesn’t just affect the quality of sleep for you and your partner; it might also be indicative of deeper health issues. By understanding the problem, seeking solutions, modifying behaviors, and consulting professionals when needed, you can ensure a peaceful and healthy night’s rest. Remember, a proactive approach is essential; the sooner you address the issue, the better you sleep!