Do you suffer from some form of chronic shoulder pain that makes it difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position? You’re not alone. Millions of people have difficulty falling asleep at night due to shoulder pain. Which is why we set out to find the best pillow for shoulder pain, so you can get a more peaceful night’s sleep.
In this article we’ve put together a comprehensive list of the top pillows for shoulder pain, to find, rate, and review the best pillow for shoulder pain.
Hopefully by the end of this article you’ve found a pillow that eliminates your shoulder pain and allows you to fall asleep quickly, and sleep peacefully throughout the night.
What Are The Best Pillows For Shoulder Pain?
We tested and reviewed dozens of pillows to try and find the best pillow for shoulder pain, and throughout this process we found a lot of great pillows that can help alleviate shoulder pain. However, in the end, there was only one winner. One pillow that stood out above all others that we think is the best pillow for shoulder pain. Here the pillows we reviewed, with our ratings, starting with our favorite:
1. Sleepgram Adjustable Pillow – Overall Best Pillow For Shoulder Pain
If you’re looking for a pillow to relieve your shoulder pain Sleepgram will be your best bet. This is because of it’s fully adjustable 3-in-1 pillow combination that allows you to fully customize the comfort, firmness, loft, fill, and support of the pillow to match your desired comfort. You can adjust for side sleeping, stomach sleeping, and back sleeping. It also works brilliantly at aligning your spine and your neck which takes pressure off of your shoulders, allowing you to get a peaceful night’s sleep.
out of 10
What Makes Sleepgram The Best Pillow For Shoulder Pain?
Sleepgram stood out to us as the best pillow for shoulder pain for a few reasons. First, and most importantly, it’s a fully adjustable pillow. Which means you can adjust the loft, firmness, and size of the pillow to fit your body and to fit your needs. This means you can set the pillow to the perfect setting that takes the most pressure off of your shoulder when you sleep. Whereas most other pillows are a “one size fits all” which often doesn’t work for many people, Sleepgram allows you to fit the pillow to your specific needs.
Secondly, Sleepgram uses a fill called nanofiber, which is made to be both incredibly soft, yet supportive. This mixture of soft and supportive takes even more pressure off of your shoulders while you sleep while still giving you the support you need for a restful night. They’re also incredibly resilient. They last 3x longer than most other fills.
Thirdly, the pillow aligns your neck and your spine while you sleep, which alleviates pressure on your shoulders, allowing you to wake up with no pain in your shoulders, neck, or back.
It’s the combination of these three things – its adjustability, it’s soft yet supportive nanofiber fill, and its neck and spine alignment – that really make this the best pillow for shoulder pain. Once you start sleeping in this pillow you’ll start to see yourself fall asleep faster, sleep deeper, and wake up feeling pain free.
Key Features & Benefits Of The Sleepgram Pillow
If you’re considering this pillow to alleviate your shoulder pain, here are some other awesome features and benefits of this pillow:
- It’s fully adjustable – It’s unique “3 pillows in 1” design allows you to adjust the pillow to your desired sleep style and take pressure off the shoulder joints
- Aligns neck and spine – Sleepgram promotes healthy neck and spine alignment, which is important for reducing shoulder pain
- 100% machine washable – It’s 100% cotton cover can be easily removed and put in the washer and dryer to stay clean and hygienic
- Hypoallergenic – Not made with any animal byproducts, this pillow is completely allergen free
- Keeps you cool while you sleep– Designed to stay cool all night long, helping you sleep better.
- Cruelty free – Made without animal byproducts, no animals were harmed in the making of this pillow
- Free shipping – Free shipping on all orders, major plus
- Free returns up to 100 days – You have 100 days to try it out and send it back for a full refund, no questions asked
- Lifetime warranty – Warranty for life, if anything breaks they will send you a new pillow
My (Mother’s) Honest Opinion On How Well Sleepgram Reduced Her Shoulder Pain
In order to see how well this pillow actually worked at reducing shoulder pain, we had to put it to the test. Now, I don’t have shoulder pain, but the great thing about testing pillows is I can give them to family members who DO have shoulder pain, and they can report back with honest feedback on how well it worked.
In this case, I gave it to my mother. At 67 years old she’s been struggling with chronic shoulder pain for almost 5 years now. So I told her I was reviewing a pillow that is supposed to stop shoulder pain. She couldn’t wait to try it. So I gave it to her to sleep on.
When I first gave it to her, we adjusted it to her desired loft, and size. Her first words when she first laid down on it were, “Oh my gosh, this feels amazing! I can’t wait to go to bed tonight!”
After a week of sleeping on it she gave me a full report. She said that not only did Sleepgram make it so she could easily find a comfortable sleeping position, but that it allowed her to fall asleep much faster.
She said the way the pillow aligned her head is what really made her shoulders feel better. Typically my mother would wake up stiff in the morning and have to “warm up” to get her joints working. However, after sleeping on the Sleepgram pillow the stiffness had disappeared.
She was waking up each morning with a “fresh shoulder” as she put it. She asked to keep it, and of course I said yes, but that I want her to test some other pillows too.
Pricing, Promotions, & Refund Policy
Sleepgram pillows have one of the best (if not the best) values on the market when it comes to pillows. Their pillow only costs $40 per pillow, with discounts added in the more you buy. $40 for a specialty pillow of this quality is just unheard of. Then, on top of this great price they allow you to try it for up to 100 days or send it back for a full refund, no questions asked. So if after 98 days of using it, you don’t like it, you can send it back for a full refund. Finally, they have a lifetime warranty on all of their pillows. So if it breaks, or there are any defects, they’ll send you a brand new one.
Out of all the pillows that we tested, none come close to matching the insane value offered by the Sleepgram pillow. And this value is part of the reason we named it the best pillow for shoulder pain.
My Final Thoughts
The Sleepgram pillow offers an amazing value. Most importantly it does an amazing job at eliminating shoulder pain while you sleep. The overall design of this pillow works wonders at alleviating pressure from the shoulders, neck, and back. If you have chronic pain in those areas, this is a pillow you may want to strongly consider.
Their pillow is also one of the highest quality pillows I’ve tested, right down to how well the zipper is sewed on. They paid the utmost attention to detail, and you can really tell they’ve designed and manufactured a high quality, luxury product. However, it’s a high quality luxury product that only costs $40, with an insane refund policy, and lifetime warranty. That’s hard to beat.
2. Derila – Best Pillow For Neck And Shoulder Pain
If you’re looking for a pillow to help with your neck pain, look no further than the Derila pillow. It’s been designed to align your head, neck and spine in such a way that supports your neck, and takes all the pressure off of it that normal pillows would miss.
What Makes Derila The Best Pillow For Neck and Shoulder Pain?
The Derila pillow is one of the best pillows for neck and shoulder pain on the market, trusted by hundreds of thousands of sleepers, and recommended by chiropractors. It does a phenomenal job keeping your head and neck in place while you sleep, which also helps align your spine and your neck, reducing neck, back, and of course, shoulder pain.
Made of the highest quality memory foam, it’s also very comfortable and very supportive. Derila is also wonderful for those who snore, as it slightly props your head up which alleviates downward pressure on your throat which often causes snoring.
If you’re looking for a contoured pillow for shoulder pain, or one made of memory foam, this would be your best bet. And it is set at a great price.
Key Features & Benefits
If you’re considering buying the Derila contoured pillow, here are some additional features and benefits you should be aware of:
- Aligns neck and spine – In my opinion this is the best pillow at aligning your neck and spine
- Molds to weight and shape – Their advanced memory foam adjusts to your unique weight and shape
- Keeps head in place – The contoured design keeps your head in place, which is great for neck pain
- Made of advanced memory foam – Very comfortable, supportive, and shape forming
- Reduces snoring – The loft of the pillow and spinal alignment is great at preventing snoring
- Great for neck pain too – One of the highest rated pillows on the market for reducing neck pain
- Great for travel – Easy to take with you anywhere, and makes a great travel pillow
- Affordable price – At just $39.95, it’s extremely competitively priced when compared to other high quality memory foam pillows
- 30 day refund policy – You have a full thirty days to try it out, and if you don’t like it send it back for a full refund, no questions asked
I Tried It For 7 Days, Here’s What I Thought:
Once again, as I did with the Sleepgram pillow above, I gave this to my mother with a bad shoulder to try for a week. Overall she loved it, and noticed a sizable decrease in her shoulder pain while in bed.
So it actually works, that’s good. And she also loved that the memory foam and contour of the pillow kept her head from rolling around. This pillow does promote incredible spinal neck alignment, and with part of her shoulder being a pinched nerve, this really helped alleviate that nerve pain. The last thing you want when sleeping with a bad shoulder is your neck to be crimped which pinches nerves in weird areas like the shoulder, and this pillow stops that from occurring which is great.
Overall, the pillow worked great at reducing my mother’s shoulder pain while sleeping, however she still preferred the Sleepgram pillow due to how comfortable it is. This is just her preference, though. I tried them both too, and I really like the Derila. However, that being said, the Sleepgram pillow is insanely comfy.
Pricing, Promotions, & Refund Policy
At just $39.95 for a contoured, advanced memory foam, therapeutic pillow, you’re getting the deal of the century. Derila has really figured out an amazing pricing model that allows almost everyone to be able to afford a therapeutic pillow for shoulder pain. This is thanks to their huge discount of 70%. As of this writing they’re offering massive deals on their pillow, up to 70% off! Finally, you get 30 days to return it for a full refund if you don’t like it.
My Final Thoughts
Derila offers the best deal on the market for contoured memory foam pillows that alleviate shoulder pain when sleeping. It’s super high quality, very comfortable, extremely supportive, very affordable, and most importantly it actually works. I really like this pillow, and if you’re leaning towards a pillow that is contoured or memory foam, I would highly recommend considering Derila. And you wouldn’t be alone, hundreds of thousands of other sleepers use it every night, for a reason, it actually works.
3. Nuzzle Pillow – Best Pillow For Side Sleepers With Shoulder Pain
Most sleepers sleep on their sides, and if you’re one of them, you will definitely need the right pillow for the job or you’ll risk developing neck and shoulder pain over time. After testing Nuzzle extensively, we found that it really excelled in the support it gives to side sleepers. No neck pain, no shoulder pain. It feels great and gives the right amount of support to align your neck and your spine so you avoid waking up with a stiff neck, sore back, or a “dead arm.”
out of 10
What Makes Nuzzle Pillow The Best Pillow For Side Sleepers With Shoulder Pain?
The Nuzzle pillow is fully adjustable, and was designed using NASA technology. Yes, you read that correctly. The design of this NASA inspired pillow is all about making your head feel completely weightless. This “weightless,” “anti-gravity”design removes pressure from the shoulder when sleeping on your side. Your head has this feeling of weightlessness, which allows muscles in the shoulder to relax, reducing any shoulder pain.
The Nuzzle pillow is also one of the best pillows for aligning your neck and spine, which also is great for your shoulder pain. Overall, it’s combination of nano-fiber fill, feeling of weightlessness, adjustability, temperature control, and NASA inspired design make it the best pillow for side sleepers with shoulder pain.
Key Features & Benefits
If you’re a side sleeper with shoulder pain, here are some benefits and features of the Nuzzle pillow:
- Designed to make your head feel “weightless” – this takes a lot of pressure off of your shoulder muscles, reducing shoulder pain.
- Uses NASA inspired design – This advanced pillow was inspired by NASA
- Keeps you cool – Stays cool very well. Rated one of the best cooling pillows
- Machine washable – You can strip the comfy outer layer of the pillow and wash it in the washer/dryer to stay clean easily
- Fully adjustable – Easily adjusts to your desired loft, comfort, and firmness
- Amazing refund policy – 60 day money back guarantee
- Great discounts – 50% off
I Tried It For A Week, Here’s What I Though:
Because I’m a side sleeper I decided to test the Nuzzle pillow. Before getting the Nuzzle pillow I usually always wake up in the morning with a stiff shoulder, because it’s the shoulder that most of my body weight is laying on. So I decided this was the perfect pillow for me to test.
My first impressions were how comfortable it was. I decided to take their recommendation of using both sleep inserts to create a comfortable and supportive pillow build, which is ideal for side sleepers. When I put my head on the pillow I was immediately surprised at how good it felt.
It felt like my head was just floating there, and there was NO TENSION in my neck or shoulders. I put my arm in various positions to see how pressure it felt, and all around my arm and shoulders felt amazing. I couldn’t wait to go to sleep that night.
The next morning, after spending my first night sleeping on the pillow I woke up feeling super refreshed, with no tightness or soreness in my shoulders, neck, or back. I couldn’t believe it. Normally I start my day stretching my shoulders out! This was great.
After using it for a week, my shoulders felt like I was in my 20’s again. This is for sure the best pillow for side sleepers with shoulder pain, and I can‘t recommend it highly enough. I’ll be trading in my old pillow for the Nuzzle pillow.
Pricing, Promotions & Refund Policy
Nuzzle is very fairly priced at $49.99, with discounts added in with the more you buy. They’re currently offering 35% off if you buy 1 pillow, 48% off plus a FREE pillow if you buy 2, and 53% off plus 2 FREE pillows if you buy 3. One of the best bargains I’ve seen for pillows of this quality. Finally, they have an amazing refund policy of 60-days. Meaning you have 60 days to try it out and return it for a full refund, which is more than generous.
My Final Thoughts
If you’re a side sleeper with shoulder pain, having the right pillow can play a huge role in alleviating your shoulder pain. And out of all the pillows I tested, Nuzzle was the best pillow for side sleepers with shoulder pain, hands down. This pillow will help you fall asleep faster, sleep better, and wake up pain-free. If you’re a side sleeper with shoulder pain, I’d highly recommend checking out this pillow.
What To Look For In A Pillow For Shoulder Pain
Before buying a pillow to alleviate your shoulder pain, it’s important to look at what makes a great pillow for shoulder pain. Here are a few things you may want to consider:
- Pillow Material: Look for a pillow made from materials that provide good support and cushioning, such as memory foam, nanofiber fill, or latex.
- Pillow Shape: Consider a pillow that is designed to support the neck and shoulders, such as a contoured pillow. This can help keep the spine aligned and reduce pressure on the shoulders.
- Pillow Size: Make sure the pillow is the right size for your body and sleeping position. A pillow that is too small or too large can lead to poor posture and increased pain.
- Pillow Firmness: Choose a pillow that is firm enough to provide support, but not so firm that it creates pressure points. It’s also important to consider your personal preference for pillow firmness.
- Pillow Maintenance: Look for a pillow that is easy to clean and maintain, such as one with a removable and washable cover.
- Pillow Price: While it’s important to invest in a quality pillow that will provide the necessary support, it’s also important to consider your budget. Look for a pillow that provides good value for its price.
By considering these factors, you can find a pillow that will help alleviate your shoulder pain and provide comfortable and restful sleep.
Shoulder pain is something that can make it hard to fall asleep at night, ruin your sleep, and by doing so ruin your next day. It’s important to get a pillow that helps alleviate pressure points on your shoulders by creating a soft but supportive pace to rest your head, and by keeping your neck and your spin in alignment. Pillows, like the ones mentioned above, that do this will keep your shoulders from hurting while you sleep. Investing in the best pillow for shoulder pain can do wonders for your sleep. I hope you enjoyed this article, and feel free to leave a comment below letting us know what you think.